Bekins started as a service company in 1975 and even as we add other aspects to our business, we still consider ourselves a service company first. That means our desire to “BeKind” is a core value. For more than four decades Bekins has donated more than 10% of all net profits back into the community. We recycle more than 90% of all waste in our facilities and when our employees volunteer at a 501(c)iii humanitarian organization, Bekins donates to the non-profit organization. In addition, our employees go above and beyond for more than just our customers. Below are a few recent examples of how we like to challenge industry norms to make a positive difference in the lives of our employees, their families, our customers and the community.
See our latest Community Engagement Bekins Donates Boxes For Local School Project
Developmental Kindergarten students at Jeffers Elementary in Spring Lake showed off their creativity thanks to a donation from Bekins. A box which once stored a large major appliance, is now a yellow school bus. Bekins loves to recycle. See below for more information about our efforts to reduce our carbon footprint, and pictures of the creative ways our community has repurposed appliance boxes. If you need some boxes, click the button below to contact our Warehouse and Service Center.
- Bekins matches each employee’s yearly donation to the United Way.
- Bekins facilitates internal campaigns for programs such as Stuff The Bus and Toys For Tots.
- Bekins recycles all old appliances they remove from homes.
- Bekins uses a local recycling company who is registered with the State of Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) to properly dispose of batteries and recycle electronics.
Total Pounds of Material
Pounds of Sheet Metal
Pounds of Paper
Pounds of Plastic, Electronics, Copper Wire, Foam and Pallets
1,977,462 Gallons of Water
National Geographic says it takes about 100 gallons of water to grow and process a single pound of cotton. It takes about 6 gallons of water to produce a dollar worth of paper.
2,547,463 KW Hours of Electricity
Eliminating the need to make materials from scratch.
100,606 Gallons of Oil
Recycling plastic cuts back on oil consumption, thereby helping to extend the lifespan of our remaining fossil fuel reserves.
3,367,126 Pounds of Air Pollution Effluents
Recycling reduces the amount of waste sent to incinerators.
$172,577 of Landfill Space
Cleaner air, cleaner water and more open space.
More trees improve our air quality, preserve soil and support wildlife.
Check Out What We've Been up to in Our Community
- Bekins, in cooperation with LG and Sony installed new appliances and electronics at a project house for Paradise Bound Ministries.
- All proceeds from this home’s sale will go directly to continuing programs providing food, homes and medical care for communities in Guatemala that Paradise Bound Ministries began 25 years ago!
- Bekins employees volunteer in Holland at Resilience: Advocates for Ending Violence as part of the United Way’s annual Day of Caring. Employees washed windows, installed privacy covers on windows, and helped sort and organize donations.
- Bekins, in cooperation with Whirlpool and the West Michigan NKBA, installed new appliances for a full remodel of Townline Elementary School in Kentwood. Bekins employees also collected and donated school supplies for students in need.
- Bekins supports the West Michigan Miracle League by upgrading their speakers at their field in Rockford at a discounted rate.
- Bekins employees, along with some family and friends, volunteer to sort, label and package food for the Community Action House in Holland. As a part of the BeKind program, Bekins also donated $320 to local 501(c)3 organization.
- Bekins, in partnership with KitchenAid, donates a microwave drawer to Kenzie’s Be Café in Grand Haven. The café aims to provide a safe and enjoyable work environment for individuals with intellectual and developmental delays along with other special needs.
- In support of the HBA Professional Women in Building Council, Bekins donates appliance boxes to be used as I Support The Girls collection sites throughout West Michigan. In addition, Bekins employees donate essential women’s items for I Support The Girls who distributes them to women in situations where access to a bra, underwear, or feminine hygiene products is either unaffordable or completely unattainable.
- Bekins donates boxes, and Bekins employees volunteer to build play structures for children at Grace Lutheran Church in Coopersville
- Bekins donates a used Maytag washer to Luvnpupz, a non-profit animal rescue in West Michigan.
- Bekins, in partnership with LG, installs appliances at a reduced cost for an Inner City Christian Federation community home in Grand Rapids
- Bekins donates boxes to Jeffers Elementary in Spring Lake. Their Developmental Kindergarten class used the boxes to design a replica camper for their classroom.
- A Bekins employee earns a Michigan Works Essential Service Award, recognizing workers who display pride in their job, a positive attitude, a strong work ethic and habits, punctuality, and completion of work on-time.
- Bekins, in partnership with Whirlpool, donate and install appliances for a "Secret Santa" builder, who finished a wheelchair accessible basement apartment for a family whose original contractor allegedly took $9,000 and didn't finish the job.
- Bekins I.T. Department sells used equipment to employees and their families. Proceeds are donated to D.A. Blodgett St. Johns which supports children and families through Foster Care, Adoption, Residential Treatment, Mentoring, Family Preservation and Behavior Health.
- Bekins, in partnership with Whirlpool, donate and install appliances for the Community Action House serving people struggling with hunger in the Holland and Zeeland area. Scott Bekins also assists with designing the learning and demonstration kitchen which aims to teach food club members how to cook the healthy food they choose.
- Bekins employees volunteer to help remove invasive plant species at the Hemlock Crossing Park in West Olive to support the United Way Day of Caring.
- Bekins, in partnership with Big Green Egg, donates a grill to the Children's Advocacy Center of Ottawa County who provide child centered prevention, advocacy, and team intervention in investigation, assessment, and treatment of child sexual abuse inclusive of all children and families.
- Bekins donates boxes to a local family who uses it to build forts for a 60-child nerf battle between races at Rock City BMX.
- Bekins, in partnership with Whirlpool and the HBA of Western Michigan, donate and install appliances for the family of a local veteran who lost his fight with cancer before remodeling a fixer-upper home.
- Bekins, in partnership with LG, donate and install appliances for the Kalamazoo Attainable Homes Partnership.
- A Bekins employee earns a Volunteer Stars Certificate of Excellence through the Greater Ottawa County United Way. The award recognizes individuals and groups who show commitment to serving their community by offering their time and skills to a person or organization in need.
- A Bekins employee was one of eight honorees to win the 2020 Essential Service Award through Michigan Works! The award recognizes frontline and behind-the-scenes workers who go above and beyond their daily responsibilities and display integrity, passion and commitment.
- Bekins donates recycled materials to East Elementary in Coopersville, who use it to decorate a reading wonderland.
- Bekins donates scrapped oven racks to a local person who makes wooden cars for children overseas — the gentleman uses the oven racks to hold the cars while letting the paint dry.
- Bekins donates appliance cardboard boxes to a West Michigan man who uses them to create Star Wars themed decorations for his home on Halloween.
- Bekins, in partnership with LG, donate and install appliances in a home whose proceeds benefit Paradise Bound Ministries.
- Bekins donates recycled materials to East Elementary in Coopersville, who use it to create a "Fall into a good book" theme for their library.
- Bekins employees volunteer to help remove invasive plant species at the Crockery Creek Natural Area to support the United Way Day of Caring.
- Bekins Sponsors Nana's Run to help fight ALS.
- Bekins hosts a pepper spray self-defense class for the HBA Professional Women in Building.
- Bekins receives a photo of an appliance installer who upon request helped a woman fill her car with gas.
- Bekins sponsors a tailgate to benefit the MSA Foundation who helps provide financial assistance for under-priveleged youth in sports.
- Bekins employees donate winter items for local people in need and donate the items to Habitat For Humanity.
- Bekins employees donate new toys for Toys For Tots.
- Bekins employees volunteer to help remove invasive plant species at the Ottawa Sands County Park to support the United Way Day of Caring.
- Bekins employees donate hundreds of school supplies to Stuff The Bus, helping local under-priveleged school children have the supplies they need for school.
- Bekins Sponsors Nana's Run to help fight ALS.
- Bekins Employees Support Walk For Good Food - addressing issues with food access and poverty.
- Cardboard from Bekins transforms into a school reading center.
- Bekins employees donate toys, books and games for children to use at the Children's Advocacy Center of Ottawa County.
- Bekins employees donate toys to the Marine Toys For Tots Foundation.
- IT old electronics sale benefits Hand2Hand.
- Bekins Employees volunteer to help landscape Tri Cities Love In Action in partnership with the United Way Day of Caring.
- Bekins employee volunteers for Appliance Ministry.
- Bekins employees donate school supplies to Stuff The Bus, helping local under-priveleged students have the supplies they need for school.
- Bekins employee leads Young Adults Ministry at Lakeshore Baptist Church in Grand Haven.
- Bekins employees fill backpacks with food for local at-risk children at Hand2Hand.
- A fifth grade student at Discovery Elementary in Kentwood sent a handwritten note to Bekins and Classic Stereo asking for help with a school project. A Bekins employee visited the student and their classroom for a lesson in home audio.
- Bekins employees collect 1,114 food items donated to Hand2Hand.
- Bekins employees fill backpacks with food for local at-risk children at Hand2Hand.
- Bekins, in partnership with Whirlpool, donate appliances to the Kent County Children's Advocacy Center.
- Bekins in partnership with Whirlpool, Sony, Lutron, Crestron and Screen Innovations donate appliances and electronics, plus installation into an addition at the Ottawa County Children's Advocacy Center. In addition employees volunteer to move furniture and equipment on a Saturday so the CAC can continue to provide services during the expansion.
- Bekins employees donate new toys to Toys For Tots.
- Bekins employee teaches self-defense class to local girl scout troop.
- Bekins, in partnership with Aga, donate a range to the 92.1 WGHN Radio Auction to benefit Susan G. Komen's fight against breast cancer.
- Bekins employee bakes cupcakes, and shares photo to support KitchenAid's 10,000 Cupcakes, One Great Cause campaign to benefit the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
- Bekins employees volunteer to wave flags for a Patriot Day Tribute which started in Grand Haven and ended in Muskegon.
- Scott Bekins volunteers to be a Project Manager for Ottawa County Children's Advocacy Center expansion, electronics team volunteers a day to pre-wire the expansion.
- Bekins employees volunteer to help landscape and move furniture for the People's Center in Spring Lake in partnership with the United Way Day of Caring.
- Bekins Employee volunteers time, Bekins donates money to Michigan Blood.
- Bekins employees collect 533 fruit cups and donate them to Hand2Hand helping feed local school children who are at risk of going hungry at home over the weekend.
- Bekins donates cardboard appliance boxes to a family who turns it into a large Thomas The Train decoration for a local child's birthday.
- Bekins donates cardboard appliance boxes to a local family who creates box forts.
- Bekins donates cardboard appliance boxes to a local family who creates a large pirate ship for a child's 5th birthday party.
- Bekins donates cardboard appliance boxes to Coldwell Banker Woodland Schmidt Lakeshore for use in a local cardboard boat race.
- Bekins donates appliance cardboard boxes to Covenant Life Church in Grand Haven. Upstreet Children's Ministries turns them into chariots for their summer Kids Camp..
- Bekins employees attend Visbeen Design Home event to help raise money for the Helen DeVos Childen's Hospital.
- Bekins donates appliances cardboard boxes to the Coopersville Reformed Church vacation Bible School who turns it into a play structure for their students.
- Bekins employee volunteers for an open house at a church in Grand Haven which was remodeled into a home. The event raised more than $20,000 to support the Rett Syndrome Research Trust.
- Bekins employees donate 79 cans of chicken to Hand2Hand.
- Scott Bekins, in partnership with Dr. Bill Rudd and Pastor John Kenny, starts a Pastor Partner program designed to help solo pastors learn how to afford part time assistance, but also to give retired pastors an avenue to help solo pastored churches grow. The program starts with a match at First Reformed Church in Grand Haven.
- Bekins donates appliances cardboard boxes to a Coopersville West Early Childhood Center preschool classroom who in turn creates a fire truck play structure for their students.
- Bekins employees donate a variety of food kits to Hand2Hand to help provide food to children who need it during weekends at home.
- Bekins employees collect 526 jars of peanut butter for donation to Hand2Hand.
- Bekins employees support a local trunk or treat in Grand Haven by decorating a car and giving out treats to children who attend.
- Bekins employees volunteer to complete landscaping clean up for North Ottawa Care Center in Spring Lake.
- Bekins employees volunteer to install appliances for a new Hope House at the Grand Haven Love Inc. women's shelter.
- Bekins works with JQ99.3 and 1260 The Pledge to collect nearly 1,300 food items for donation to Hand2Hand ministries.
- Bekins displays art from Alla Dickson Fine Art to support the Grand Haven ArtWalk.
- Bekins employee volunteers for House of Hope Orphanage in Kenya.
- Five Bekins Service Technicians volunteer to do major maintanence on sacred suds laundry for Community enCompass.
Bekind Donation Recommendation Form
If there is a federally recognized 501 C-3 or a community based non-profit organization you would like to recommend for a donation, please complete the form below. Complete only one donation request form per event please. Must be located within Bekins market area and this form is not intended for political issues or campaigns. Please allow 30 days for processing and you will be notified in writing regarding the status of your request.